6.22.2011

You Can't Argue with Emotions

A dear, sweet, wise, and spunky friend of mine left me an incredibly, incredibly long voicemail last night and said one thing that I couldn't agree more with. That one thing she said was: You can't argue with emotions, because they're not rational. How often do I feel one way, then kick myself an hour later for feeling that way? She's right, emotions cannot be explained by reason. And they shouldn't be trusted either.
---
I think about how often I use my emotions to judge the state of so many things: my relationships, my condition, my abilities. Most often I use my emotions to judge my relationship with the Lord- but I don't feel like raising my voice to Him, I don't feel close to Him right now, I don't feel like talking with Him in the midst of my sinfulness. Then I remember that His patience goes longer and deeper than mine does, and He is greater than my emotions. I thank Him that my emotions don't determine who He is.

He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. 

And as I sit in bed watching the timid shimmy of the trees as a breeze rustles through, I have to thank Him for the perspective He brings to my emotions, the reality He unveils at the proper time. Not that I wasn't justified in feeling how I felt, but that joy comes in the morning...It certainly does.

No comments:

Post a Comment