10.16.2011

Twenty-One

I am twenty-one today. 21. Twenty plus one! Either way you say it, it's weird. And either way you write it, I'm officially a twenty-something, one of my wildest dreams realized. I sat down to write and sing last night, pondering what this twenty-first year of my life will be like and dreaming of the coming days, of what I will do, where I will go, and who I will love. And yet I couldn't contemplate the future without considering the past, my past, marked by a resounding theme- He is faithful.

He is faithful.

For twenty years, He has known me, and my soul delights in this truth. My soul longs to be known, and my heart desires to be perceived and established in another's. Yes, He has known me for twenty years, but He also knew me before I was ever an idea or a possibility, when my body was still unformed. All the days ordained for me were written in His book before one of them came to be.

For twenty years, He has pursued me, gently wooing me to Himself. He has invited me into His presence and bound my heart to His. I crave intimacy, closeness, understanding, and He has delivered through the sweetness of His Word and Holy Spirit. He has allured me, led me into the desert, and spoken tenderly to me. 

For twenty years, He has loved me, but the greatest act of love that He has shown happened thousands of years ago- the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Because of His death and resurrection, I have life and life abundantly. The Author of my salvation, the Lord of all creation, fully man, and fully God hung beneath the weight of my sin, died, and gloriously rose to life. He was pierced for my transgressions and crushed for my iniquities.

I am twenty-one. And I will forever be in awe of His faithfulness.


 **Yay, twenty-one! I'm excited to meet you!
And happy birthday, John Mayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment