6.27.2011

Open Up the Sky

My heart proclaims these words this morning:

Our Beloved Jesus, 
We just want to see You
In the glory of Your light. 
Earthly things don't matter.
They just fade and shatter
When we're touched by Love Divine. 

Open up the sky, 
Fall down like rain. 
We don't want blessings.
We want You.
Open up the sky, 
Fall down like fire. 
We don't want anything but You. 

I've never been so bombarded with thoughts of what my heart desires as I was yesterday.
---
Everything I want in life stems from a haphazard grouping of idols- others' approval and a sense of control just to name a few. I've laid my heart down before the Lord pleading with Him for this, asking Him for that, begging for certain circumstances. I've wanted so many things, and they haven't been necessarily evil. What I've learned this weekend, though, is that there should be One who is above all of those things. One who is above the blessings He pours down.

What happened to just wanting Him? Simply desiring to seek Him without any other motive but to know Him more, love Him more, learn Him more. My heart aches for my thoughts, dreams, desires, wishes, and hopes to wrap their arms around Jesus. I want my purpose to be Him.

I sang Open Up the Sky for the first time in church yesterday, and the words we don't want blessings, we want You have been ricocheting off the walls of my heart ever since.

1 comment: