7.05.2011

I Survived...

A day at the Thompson's lake house.

Yesterday morning, myself and three wonderful folks, Mr. Don, Sarah L., and Hank, the female dog, loaded up and headed out to the Thompson family lake house. We had an absolute blast, and I returned home sun-soaked, exhausted, and fully pleased with the day's events.
---
After floating in the lake for who knows how long and after Chris prepared the kayak, he and I jumped in and paddled around for a while. Correction: He paddled until I decided I wanted to help. We went in and around what I wanted to be secret coves and glided on the water as if it were glass. After slipping back past our friends, we headed into the big water...(!). It was so calm though, I felt like I was dreaming. Once we made it out a ways, we just drifted. I turned around to Chris and said, "I'm pretending I'm on a boat in the middle of some sea in Scotland or Ireland." I'm pretty sure he tried a Scottish accent as we headed back to the dock.
---
Then, it was time to take the boat out. And Sarah and I, of course, were the first to tube. What. An. Adventure! I literally could tube all day long, in my sleep, while I'm eating, etc. I love it! Mr. Don pulled us for a good 30 minutes, but we were anxiously pulled in so the men (+me) could wakeboard.
---
So, Pat was up on the wakeboard first, then Chris, then Mr. Don, then I daringly and bravely suggested I should try it. After all, that's all that matters. Thus begins the story of me wakeboarding. Chris basically took care of all things wakeboard for me; he situated the board on the back of the boat, tightened up the boots, etc. When I got ready to jump into the water I found this to be a predicament. I really had no idea how I was supposed to get into the water without face planting and hoping I would make it out alive. The next five minutes happened as follows: Chris picked me up, threw me into the water, jumped in after me (because I was upside down), and flipped me + the board back over. I got a quick lesson from that kid, then motioned I was ready once he got back into the boat. Mr. Don straightened the rope, I grabbed on, the boat accelerated, and before I knew it, I was wakeboarding! I looked up, saw Sarah waving her arms and Chris jumping, laughing, and waving his arms around. Both of them, especially Chris, doubted my abilities.

What. a. surprise! The only bad part was that I was only taught how to get up, but not what to do after. I think that's because Chris didn't even think I could get up. Boys, shmoys. I only tried a couple more times, but came out of the water smiling.
---
Blah, blah, blah, then Chris and I tubed and reverted to our 12 year old selves full of awkward moments and really really great times. We ate, floated around some more, and then I came home to dad singing Katy Perry's Firework.

I'm pretty sure this 4th of July tops the charts. Next year, I hope to come in contact with sparklers and roman candles. Can't wait!

And here I am! Wakeboarding pro, obviously.

1 comment: